DIY Veggie Broth 

Did you know, as a country we waste 133 billion pounds of food a year! So to do my part, I am big on not wasting food to the best of my ability. One thing I started doing was saving my vegetable scraps! Carrot tops, onion skin, garlic skin, ends of celery, mushroom bottoms, any vegetable scrap can make a great broth (I would omit potato skins, unless you would like a thicker broth). Stored correctly in the freezer, vegetable scraps can keep for up six months! You can have a delicious vegetable broth anytime! 



Ingredients
Veggie scraps (at least 3 cups)
4-5Tbs tomato paste
Sprig of thyme
Few sage leafs
8-10 cups of water
1tsp minced garlic (optional)
1tsp sea salt
1/2tsp pepper

Directions
1. Add ingredients to a pot and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simme, cover,  and cook for at least one hour. Remember the longer it cooks the better. I let my broth cook all day for about 6 hours, for a decent vegetable broth you’ll need at least an hour.

3. When done, drain and let cool. Store in air tight containers (mason jars work great), and use with any recipe that calls for vegetable broth!

2. This recipe is customizable, add any fresh herbs you have on hand. Parsley, rosemary, basil, or chives! Also, add  any veggie scraps you would like too! This is an easy way to reuse and reduce your food waste. I always toss the food scraps from the drained broth outside (as long as it’s safe for wild animals)  to give back to the earth.


Comments

Popular Posts